Founded in 1948, the PLCA has played a critical role for the pipeline construction industry for over 70 years. Check out these highlights and pictures from our storied past….and be sure to check back regularly as we continue to add to this timeline.
Anticipating a dramatic increase in the need for a safe underground system of transportation of natural gas, petroleum, and petroleum products, representatives of 17 construction firms held a series of meetings in late 1947 and early 1948. Their purpose? To form a trade association. A charter was obtained from the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), a national association of building, highway and heavy construction contractors. The group was incorporated in Texas on July 26, 1948. They were initially known as the Mid-Continent Chapter of the AGC.
When it became apparent the interests and needs of the pipeline contractor were different from those of other contractors in the construction industry, the pipeline contractor severed ties with the AGC and officially became the Pipe Line Contractors Association (PLCA), a national trade association.
The primary purposes of the PLCA was to negotiate the nationwide labor agreements covering pipeline construction throughout the U.S. For over 70 years, the PLCA has been responsible for negotiating and administering the National Pipe Line Agreements as well as project-specific agreements with the four pipeline unions covering the industry’s most significant projects during that time. PLCA Members have built hundreds-of-thousands of miles of domestic pipeline under the guidance and leadership of the PLCA.
For 71 years, the PLCA operated out of Akin Gump Straus Hauer & Feld, LLP offices in Dallas, Texas. The PLCA’s long-term relationship with the legendary law firm arose from Dick Gump’s central role with both organizations. Mr. Gump served with distinction as the PLCA’s first Managing Director and General Counsel and was also a founding partner of the law firm
In 2019, the PLCA opened its first fully independent office in Arlington, Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C. With over 70 years of service, the PLCA remains a trusted ally to the pipeline industry.